There was a time when the use of vast quantities of
ghee was very obvious in British Indian cuisine and then fashion
changed and the use of ghee became a culinary no no. Today, however,
the mood seems to be changing again so we are revisiting the subject
with the invaluable help of master Indian chef Manjit Gill.
According to Ayurveda - India's nutritional
sciences, Ghee used in moderation is the best cooking medium. One
needs less ghee (half or two-thirds) as compared to oil one achieve
the better taste, flovour, texture and each digestions. The texts say
that ghee helps balance excess stomach acid, and helps
maintain/repair the mucus lining of the stomach. It stimulates the
digestion (Agni) better than any other oil. Ghee promote all three
aspects of mental functioning -- learning, memory and recall.
Benefits of Ghee
Ghee - Great For Cooking and Taste:
1. Ghee has a high smoke point (250 °C / 482 °F).
You can cook and fry with ghee and it will not
break down into free
radicals like many other oils.
2. Ghee does not spoil easily so does not need refrigeration.
Some ghee mixtures last up to 100 years.
3. Buttery delicious taste without causing dairy allergies.
Ghee is made from cultured butter, the milk solids
chemistry changes by adding culture and forming into curd and butter
churned out. Left to ferment and then clarified, impurities have been
removed so most people who are lactose or casein intolerant have no
issue with Ghee.
4. Ghee has a nutty buttery taste without
5. High Nutrition - Ghee is rich in the oil soluble
vitamins A and E.
6. Ghee is rich in K2 and CLA (Conjugated Linoleic
Acid) - an antioxidant with anti-viral properties if it is sourced
from grass fed cows.
7. Energy and Weight Management - Ghee is converted
directly into energy like carbohydrates.
8. Ghee is Nutritionally - Ghee is rich in medium
chain fatty acids which are absorbed directly to the liver (like
carbs) and burnt as energy. Ghee can be used as a consistent energy source.
9. Weight Loss - The energy from Ghee has medium
chain fatty acids can be used to burn other fats in the system and
10. Digestion and Immune Strengthening - Ghee
(unlike other oils) is rich in butyric acid, a short chain fatty
acid. Beneficial intestinal bacteria convert fiber into butyric acid
and then use that for energy and intestinal wall support. A healthy
body therefore makes it own form of 'ghee' but you can aid that
greatly by just consuming it.
More benefits of Ghee:
11. Ghee eating is like eating probiotics and it is
a combination of prebiotics and digestive fiber.
12. Healthy Digestive Tract - Ghee makes the
healthy digestive tracts by having the butyric acid which unhealthy
digestive tracts do not produce butyric acid.
13. Healthy Immune System - Eating Ghee continue
providing adequate production of butyric acid supports the production
of killer T cells in the gut, and thus a strong immune system.
14. Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Cancer - Researchers
are using oral butyrate supplements and butyrate enemas to treat
inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's and ulcerative colitis.
Ayurvedic physicians have been using ghee enemas
for centuries to decrease inflammation.
15. Strong Appetite - Ghee stimulates the secretion
of gastric acid, thus aiding in the digestive process. Better
digestion equals better health and weight loss.
16. Mind and Spirit - Ghee can help cleanse
negative emotions from the body and feed the positive.
17. Molecules of Emotion - Negative emotions have a
chemical nature. This is what ancient cultures have always
maintained, that the mind and body are one. These chemicals are
attracted to and stored in fat.
18. Ghee can be used to replace those fats. Plus,
if used properly in a cleanse, an attract and pull out these
emotional toxins so they can be cleansed from the body.
19. Positive Food - Within Ayurveda, ghee is
considered one of the most Satvic foods. Satvic foods promote
positivity, growth and expansion of consciousness.
20. Herbal Energiser - Fry Spices in Ghee. Many of
properties of herbs and spices can be absorbed and
transported to targeted areas of the body with ghee.
This is why Ayurveda uses ghee in thousands of
preparation. You can do the same thing by frying /
sauteing your spices in Ghee before adding to your dishes.
Enjoy your cooking with Ghee for well being.................
(Chef Manjit Gill)